Turtle's Progress

Sunday, April 30, 2006

Sarah aka Princess Pigbear



Friday night I arrived in Colorado for a two week visit with Erin, Brent and Sarah. This is the third time since her birth that I have seen Sarah, and she burrows her way deeper into my heart each time. I watched in October as she worked her way into the world and as I observed Erin and Brent learning their way with her, I was swept back to the time when my own daughters were newborns. I remembered so little. Infants grow and learn and develop so quickly that it is hard to remember how they were at each stage in their lives.

From October to December she had grown, and was just starting to smile a bit. Her personality was starting to show through. When I arrived in February she was smiling all the time and just learning to hold on to a toy. Now, two and a half months later, she is rolling all over, sitting by herself, and grabbing toys offered to her. She recognizes her name and LOVES people. Anyone who gives her any small amount of attention will be greeted with a huge baby smile and sparkling eyes.

My daughter asks me often what she and her sister were like as babies. Did they have personalities like Sarah's. What were their schedules like? I can remember generally what life was like with a baby in the house, but the day-to-day things that I watch Erin deal with, I just don't remember. I have "baby books" that capture the milestones of first teeth coming through, their first words, first foods, etc. But it pains me to say that I'm not able to recall the specifics that I see Erin, Brent and Sarah living as they become a strong family unit.

I wish I had been a "journaler" back then. Maybe reading my own words about new motherhood and my babies changing and developing would bring those memories back to the surface. I wrote lots of letters during that time but, unfortunately, didn't have a "packrat" Aunt Betty who saved them all so I can't even read those to help me remember. I do know that motherhood has brought me great joy, and having adult children who are now having children of their own gives me a chance to be carried back to the times when my own were young.

4 Comments:

At 5:26 PM, Blogger erin said...

Sarah is a lucky girl to have a Grandma like you...I tell her that a lot!

 
At 9:22 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hey Terry,
You're not alone went it comes to fogetting some, while our children were babies. As I have written to Erin....even though we have changed our plans to move to Oregon, seeing you spend the time with your girls and grandchildren reasures me that we made the right decision on being close to my family. As you know, I have lost so much with the distance of them, even though they live in the same town. I won't give up on trying to do what I feel is needed for some kind of relationship, and will continue to hope for the best.
I can say, having you near for all these years with our kids since the age of 4, we can exchange memories with those growing years.
Love You, my friend..

 
At 8:29 PM, Blogger J.J. said...

Aw so so sweet and makes me glad to be a journaler. I hope the memories of the day to day don't fade TOO much.

 
At 8:42 PM, Blogger A.K. said...

I'll have to get Erin to explain our connection (my boyfriend's older brother went to the academy with Brent and now Erin and i have become friends) but i can already see how lucky Sarah is to have you as her grandma! I can see such love and joy in all of ya'll even from just the blogs! And how precious is that picture of you and Sarah when she's staring at that bread! What cutie!! Nice to meet you and I enjoyed your blog!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home