Turtle's Progress

Wednesday, May 17, 2006

"Lost In (a parking) Space" Junkies

My husband Tom and I are hooked on the television show "Lost". Not to the point that we try and figure out every clue that is given, and go to websites to see what others have figured out, but we like to watch it week by week just to see what is happening. When we aren't together on Wednesday nights we tape it and watch it later when we are together. For two weeks worth of Wednesdays I was in Colorado visiting EBS (Erin Brent Sarah) and he was "working" in Puerto Rico and the Virgin Islands. He had set up the VCR to tape the two weeks we would be gone. Last Saturday night we were finally back together, settled into our awesome recliners and ready to watch the tape. First week was fine, but the second week didn't tape at all -- apparently Anniston had some thunder storms, the house lost power and we lost "Lost".

We decided to go on-line and see if ABC would offer any hints about what had happened. To our amazement they did better than we ever imagined -- we could watch any past episode we wanted on the internet! Hurray! Well.... hurray if you have DSL... with a dial-up modem it could not be done! Not to be outdone by the lack of technology I get the bright idea to head over to "hotel row" in neighboring Oxford and try to hook into any hotel offering free wireless internet on Tom's laptop computer. Sounds good to him, so off we go! We are looking forward to watching our show in the car just like in a "drive-in".

We first tried Jameson, the connection was "good" but not good enough to allow us to view past the first few lines of the first scene. Not to be thwarted we drive on to the Holiday Inn Express, again it's "good"... Hampton, Wingate, and back to Jameson. By parking right next to the office in the Jameson parking lot we were able to get a connection that was "excellent" but STILL the stupid computer would not let us get past the first scene. After driving from parking lot to parking lot for about an hour (and actually NOT having the Oxford Police called on us) we gave up!!! Went to Cracker Barrel to drown our sorrows in apple pie and blackberry sundae, and ended up at home reading the script on another internet site.

I have to apologize to my sister who called my cell phone asking for parenting advice in the midst of our trying to make our connection. I was much more interested in getting my "Lost" fix than talking to anyone (even if your kid is having trouble in school -- hey we're talking "Lost" here!) Sorry, Lori! I know I have a problem, and I'm trying to deal with it. I promise to comment on every entry on your Blog (www.grimes4.blogspot.com ) if you will forgive me.

5 Comments:

At 8:46 PM, Blogger Lori Grimes said...

You need to lay off on the Caribbean Martinis girl, but then again "They don't call you John Keiths daughter for nothing ya know" and yes you are forgiven you silly girl!

 
At 9:09 PM, Blogger Dave said...

Mom, your addictive personality is really shining through! ...I think its time for a 12 step program. Of course I cant say I wouldnt do them same for "Project Runway"
:) I guess the apple doesnt fall far from the tree!

 
At 9:22 PM, Blogger erin said...

There is no action too extreme when it comes to our favorite shows! I shudder to think what I would do to get ahold of lost Gilmore Girls or Gray's Anatomy episodes. It might not be pretty. Lovin' this new blog, Mom. And, this should give Aunt Lori her funny blog fix!

 
At 8:28 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hey Terry,
I know there are shows we are "Hooked On", but being in the parking lot of a hotel... wouldn't it just be better to put that lap top down and make a run to the nearest room?!
Love you...

 
At 4:23 PM, Blogger A.K. said...

I can identify- except mine is dealing with blogs- when Scott and I were in Maryland buying his harley- i needed to get online and check everyone's sites so I made him drive me to the nearest Panera Bread (a wireless sandwich shop) where I sat out in the car and connected to the internet! Thank goodness for wireless!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home