Turtle's Progress

Wednesday, June 28, 2006

My Tommy and the Jubi-Wedding


Three years ago today Tom and I got married (this picture is from Meg and Dave's wedding last year). We had been dating for over four years and most of our family and friends (especially our children) had been wondering outloud and often when we were going to get married! Well, we knew when and where and how... but few others did.

In Spring of 2002 we knew we were engaged though few others did. Tom gave me a diamond necklace that served as our reminder of that commitment but others thought it was just a Valentine's gift. I had decided in my late forties that I was going to celebrate turning 50 with a huge party. The plans began in 2002 and continued until June 28th, 2003.

Invitations were sent, Meghan and Erin decorated the space I had rented, the caterer prepared the delicious foods, and the coolers were filled with beer. My parents, sister and her family flew in from California, Tom's cousin and wife from Detroit drove down, a few of our friends who worked with Tom arrived from other southern states, and all of our local friends from church and the community were invited. All had been sent invitations to attend a "Jubilee" celebrating my 50th birthday. Meghan had even made matching dresses for herself, Erin and me to wear to the party -- all out of the same fabric but in each of our own style.

The fanfare began as Tom and I welcomed everyone and introduced our out-of-town guests. Then my daughters took over and begn a "roast" of their mother. After six or eight folks came up to tell lies about me, Tom came to my rescue and talked of our relationship. He ended his roast with the words, "... and that's why I want to live the rest of my life with this woman." He asked my parents and daughters for my hand as our friends looked on and settled in for a birthday turned anniversary party. But from the back of the room a voice could be heard .... the minister of our church stood and said, "Well, Tom, if you had a marriage license I could perform the ceremony right now." We looked at each other, grinned, and told our guests we would be right back....

We left the room with our children and changed into our "wedding duds"! Even our children did not know about our plans so they were VERY surprised but excited about what was about to happen. While we were out of the room, my bestfriend, Joyce, and her husband, Bill, who had also flown in from California, passed out new invitations to everyone indicating that they were really there for a wedding not a birthday party. While we were out the DJ played Tom's choice, "When I'm 64", my choice, "Grow Old Along With Me", and we re-entered the room to the beautiful lyrics of the "Wedding Song."

Of the one hundred people who came to celebrate my birthday, there were about eight who knew they were actually attending a wedding. We still have folks who were there talk about what great fun our wedding was, and we are extremely happy about how it all came together just as we planned....

But the wedding was just the beginning. The past three years have been a blessing beyond what I could ever imagine. Tom is an amazing husband. He is kind and loving, and generous to a fault. He takes care of me, loves me, and goes out of his way to do things that he thinks will make me happy. He's always full of fun and surprises, and anxious for us to do and try new things, and go to new places. He listens to me and cares about what I have to say. He's a wonderful father, loving grandfather, and has been the best "birthday" gift a 50 year old girl could receive! Happy Anniversary, Tommy! For your gift.... I have been considering joining you in this adventure ! I love you and can't wait to move to Nashville so we can be together more!

8 Comments:

At 12:50 PM, Blogger erin said...

No, absolutely not, you are never going to ride on a motorcycle. I forbid it. We'll talk about this when you get here, young lady!

Although, I am a little relieved because I didn't know what I would find when I clicked on that link. Thought it might be the skydiving thing! Or worse, something kinky...blech!

 
At 3:29 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

What a wonderful Anniversary celebration. The next comment is: GET YOUR MOTOR RUNNING...HEAD OUT ON THE HIGHWAY..LOOKING FOR ADVENTURE...OR WHAT EVER COMES OUR WAY! Will there be two motor cycles or will you be hugging on the back?
Love You...

 
At 5:25 PM, Blogger Lori Grimes said...

No, absolutely not, you are never going to ride on a motorcycle. I forbid it. you'll talk about this when you get to Deedee's, old lady!

 
At 7:42 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

My Queen, you know I would love this, but I'll believe it when I see it, just like scuba diving in Cozumel.

Whether we are on a bike or not, I will always love you. The last seven years have been wonderful and the last three have been the icing on the cake.

All my love,

Your Tommy

P.S. I don't remember any lies being told when you were roasted at the Jub-i-wedding.

 
At 10:26 PM, Blogger A.K. said...

Scott just got a motorcycle- i'm 100% girl and my parents still laugh that i swore i would never ride one and now scott can't seem to get me off the back of his.... they are sooo fun! a great way to be able to really enjoy life and get back to nature!

 
At 9:35 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Teri --I am not even going to tell you about the motorcycle horror stories I have seen working on the trauma unit -- I will tell you how very happy we all are that you are so happy!! -- will miss you when you move away!

 
At 12:19 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I just love your wedding story! I'm so happy you and Tom found each other. You two are such a fun and sweet couple. Here's to many, many, many more happy years.
P.Cobb

 
At 1:58 PM, Blogger Jerri said...

What a lovely story and a happy memory. You give me hope for love later in life.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home