Turtle's Progress

Thursday, June 03, 2010

Seven Things I'm Thinking About, Thursday

1. Currently reading, "Pigs in Heaven" by Barbara Kingsolver. A couple of quotes I like:

"The hardest thing about motherhood, she thinks, is that you can never again be the baby of your family, not even for ten seconds."

"But kids don't stay with you if you do it right. It's the one job where, the better your are, the more surely you won't be needed in the long run."


2. Reading this book for my Tuesdays with Books book group at the local library. I've been reading with this wise group of ladies since we first moved to Tennessee.


3. A couple of these ladies have also become beyond book group friends. Betty, Cheryl and I have been spending at least one day a week together for the past year. We go thrifting, on nature walks, to lectures at local colleges, afternoon concerts, or just out to lunch. We are also CHEAP and look for all the free stuff Nashville has to offer. Here they are at one of our outings in January. That's Cheryl on the right and Betty on the left.


4. Today we went to a noontime/brown bag lecture at the TN Wildlife Resource Center about eagles. It was pretty interesting but the knowledgeable lecturer was a snoozer! He had some biblical quotes about eagles in the resource materials. I like this one from Deuteronomy 32, "Like an eagle that stirs up its nest, that flutters over its young, spreading out its wings, catching them, bearing them on its pinions; the Lord alone did lead him"


5. And then, of course we hit a Thrift Store but I only found a book... something else to add to the large collection of books I want to read in the future. Phillip Yancey's "What's So Amazing About Grace?" Cheryl found some table linens, and a butterfly dish. Betty was empty-handed. She has more discipline than we do!!


6. Got a call from the Nashville Symphony today. Mary Chapin Carpenter concert has been moved to TPAC -- the seats we have there are alot better than the original ones at the symphony hall, but I'm sad the hall is still recovering from the floods.

7. Oh, and Erin, this one is for you. For the past month I have been washing my hair with a mixture of one tablespoon of baking soda and one cup of water poured over my dry hair, rinse that out, and then use one tablespoon of vinegar in one cup of water as a final rinse. Rinse it all out and wa la -- clean manageable hair! And best of all this way of washing does NOT strip the color out!! (But don't worry I will never make contact solution....)

3 Comments:

At 6:40 AM, Blogger Lori Grimes said...

I like the quotes from the book you’re reading especially the one about never being able to be the baby again. I think that happened to you two years after you were born.
I thought you said you were going to hear a lecture on beetles and the first thing I thought of was wow she really is board but at least she getting out but it sounds like eagles weren’t much better. FYI for whoever is reading this 50% off today at the Gilroy Salvation Army.

 
At 7:57 AM, Blogger erin said...

7. Why am I not surprised?!

I love your new (old) blog mom!

 
At 8:31 PM, Blogger Fashily said...

I love that idea for washing your hair...so, its just greener? less chemicals is that the deal? Real shampoo is pretty narly...it actually cleans my shower floor better than comet...long story.hehe...Oh and your shampoo could double as salad dressing!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home