Turtle's Progress

Friday, January 25, 2013

Grama Vegan

Over the past few months I have slowly toyed with with idea of becoming a plant-based or vegan eater.  I watched the documentary "Forks over Knives", read many articles and blogs on the subject and have slowly become a believer in the health benefits of eating this way.  My main goal in doing this is to stay healthy as I age.  I want to be around for my grandchildren's weddings and maybe even the births of my great-grandchildren!  I want to live on my own for as long as possible and avoid being a burden on my daughters.  My health now is good and I'm on no medications for blood pressure or cholesterol but I want to keep it that way! 

It's been months since I've eaten meat but giving up eggs and dairy is more recent.  That was much harder.  I was an egg everyday for breakfast girl, and loved plain non-fat yogurt that I could mix with my own fruit and flavors.  But since the first part of the year I have given these up as well.  I still walk longingly past the yogurt display when I grocery shop but I know I can live without it!  I keep right on going around the corner to the frozen fruit that now keeps my oatmeal delicious and vaired! 

A couple of nights ago I made a veggie loaf that tasted very similar to meatloaf.  My husband, the carnivore, even had seconds!  My daughter gave me a vegan cookbook for Christmas and I've discovered that what they say about tofu is true -- it will taste like anything you mix it with from fruits and vegetables to spices and barbeque sauce!  Soups and chilis are my bestfriends in the winter.  Squash, roasted veggies, onions, peppers, pastas, and grains can all  be combined in different ways to make tasty and varied hot one pot dishes!

Best of all, I'm not hungry!  I think I could live like this!!

5 Comments:

At 8:05 AM, Anonymous Mrs. Tucker said...

While I'm not a huge meat-eater, I don't want to give it up. I try to eat 85% healthy and 15% not-so-much!

Good luck!

 
At 8:23 AM, Blogger Terry said...

With all that running you do I'm sure you are quite healthy! My youngest daughter started running a few years ago and says the best thing about it is your metabolism is so high you can eat lots of calories and burn them right off!

 
At 8:13 AM, Blogger Lori Grimes said...

It all sounds really good but I'm still sitting on the fence asking myself if I can really do it. Giving up meat is no problem it's all the other stuff that's the problem!

 
At 8:58 AM, Blogger J said...

I wish you the best on this pursuit. It is really going to pay off. My motivation for the same goal is a humanitarian one. Factory farming is a crime. Your eloquent voice brings attention to that issue, too. Thank you!

 
At 9:10 AM, Blogger Terry said...

Yes, part of my motivation is factory farming. When I gave up beef a few years ago it was after much reading about that issue. Eventually it was a decision to give up all meats for the same reasons. The health benefits in this post are an added bonus!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home