Turtle's Progress

Monday, January 07, 2013

Recycled Love

About six years ago I was getting ready to move to a new home and trying to decide what to keep and what to discard.  I came upon a box of cards that I had saved from my daughters' childhoods.  They were birthday and holiday cards from my parents and grandmothers and I thought of passing them on to my daughters but knew they would not want to worry about keeping up with them.  They were both young mothers dealing with babies and jobs and homes.  This would be one more thing for them to "save" and I felt it would probably be a burden rather than a gift....  I read each one as I tossed them into the trash and continued on my sorting duties.  About a half hour later I had an epiphany!  My daughters each had a daughter and these cards were all for granddaughters!  I would save them, add a note of my own and send them to my own granddaughters for their birthdays, Christmases and Easters, graduations, and Halloweens until they were all resent!  I knew if they were received by my granddaughters with a note from me and a previous note from my mom, my daughters would not be able to part with them!  I was right!

You can read about what this idea has meant to my youngest daughter here here .
I love adding my own note to cards my own mother and sometimes my grandmother has written in!  

So glad they didn't all end up in the landfill!!

3 Comments:

At 8:57 PM, Anonymous Lisa @ Grandmas Briefs said...

This is a wonderful idea, something I had never considered. I have a similar box, filled with gift cards from the past 30 years. I'll have to go through and put some to use in the precious manner you did with yours. Thank you for linking this to the GRAND Social. (I fixed the double posting, as you requested...and added a photo from your blog in the correction process.)

So wonderful to "meet" you! I look forward to getting to know you.

 
At 6:02 AM, Anonymous Mrs. Tucker said...

What a special and priceless gift that will be for your grands. Love it!

 
At 7:56 AM, Anonymous Grandma Kc said...

This is just a wonderful idea! This will mean so much to them and think of how many generations down the road it could go... Thanks for sharing!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home