Turtle's Progress

Wednesday, July 05, 2006

How is it....

that I was just in my mid-twenties giving birth, loving, nursing, and mothering my babies, and now just the next day, it is my girls doing the same thing. The time in between; the milestones of walking and talking, learning to read or ride a bike, graduating from high school and then college, engagements, and weddings; these all pale in comparison to seeing my daughters as mothers. They seem to know so much more than I did as a new parent....how did I possibly raise these two wonderful creatures when I knew so little? It seems they taught ME as we went along about what they needed and what was best for them. And now they are learning those same things from their daughters. Sarah has conveyed to Erin without words over the past eight months what she needs from her mommy; and little Charlotte, who is not yet a week old, is letting Meghan know what is necessary for her to thrive. Somehow the beings we bring into the world let us know first what their bodies need, and then, as we go along, what their spirits need from us until they can be out on their own. We learn with fits and starts how to meet those needs and hope that what we have done was the right thing.

As infants and children we easily let others know what we need but somewhere along the way we lose that ability. We are taught that it's not polite to ask for or demand what it is we need. We subjugate our own needs to the needs of others, and often have to relearn those skills. Finding out all over again that being assertive and asking for what we need is not impolite or selfish but is necessary for our souls to survive. We need only look at babies to know that. If they didn't ask for what they needed their survival might surely be in jeopardy. Anyway, before I get any more philosophical here are some pictures of my babies with their babies....


.

4 Comments:

At 12:58 PM, Blogger erin said...

Lovely, Mom. Thanks for everything you do (and did!) for us. We love you!

 
At 1:41 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Oh my gosh, what beautiful pictures of all four girls!!! I know you are so proud!

 
At 7:47 AM, Blogger Joyce said...

You say it with such meaning...my friend. Being here on earth with our children is that learning experience that so many do no see or want. Life is truly what one makes it and can be so,if we all just try with what has been delt to us.
Love You!

 
At 8:31 PM, Blogger A.K. said...

Loved your blog... being in the fact that I just got engaged and am planning a wedding.. the part about college, weddings, etc hit home to me! i know you are beaming with pride and joy right now knowing that you have two beautiful daughters who now each have one of their own.... very lucky... congrats!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home