Turtle's Progress

Tuesday, August 08, 2006

The New House

Things are moving right along toward our move at the end of the month. We had a small bump in the road last week when our buyers had the home inspected and as a result wanted the furnace replaced. It wasn't an unreasonable request as the furnace is as old as the house -- nearly 40 years. We compromised by taking $2,000 off the purchase price and the deal is still on. We close the sale on this house on August 23rd. But I've closed on this house in my heart and mind already....

I have packed up the entire place -- there are only about four boxes, besides the kitchen, that need to be packed, and the kitchen has only what we needed until moving left to be packed. My heart has moved on to Tennessee and the new house. I have studied the floor plan and pictures we've taken and, as of today, have arranged all of our furniture in the new house. I drew a large floor plan on graph paper, measured all of the furniture, and placed it where I think it should go. Now to get moved and actually arranged the way I want it.

I'm finding that with a brand new house there is much more to do than when moving into one that has been previously occupied. We will have to buy and install curtain rods and window treatments in all rooms. Bathrooms need towel racks and shower curtain rods. Putting that first nail in the wall to hang pictures is going to be like getting the first scratch on a brand new car. I'm planning to refinish some of our furniture and paint a large shelf unit once we get settled in. There are also a few items of furniture we will need to buy down the road but for now we will be all set for company with two guest rooms available by the middle of September! Come on down!

The yard is another story. New construction avails nearly nothing in the way of landscaping: no already established shrubs or bushes, no trees providing shade. A minimal amount is done in the front to make the home attractive to buyers, but the back is a weed bed! There is also a slope that we are planning to deal with by bringing in top soil and building a wall along the property line. And, of course, we will be putting up a privacy fence to keep Cali in. I told Tom that I will deal with the inside and he can make plans for the outside, and the huge garage! We are anxious to get my parents to come out for a visit -- when I first moved into my current house my dad and father-in-law planned and helped build an awesome work bench in the middle of the garage. We are hoping to put Dad's talents to work again in the garage of this house.

I would post some pictures but Tom doesn't want anyone to see what it looks like unless they come for a visit. I'm sure once we move, the newness has worn off some, and we have had a few visitors, he will change his mind. Maybe in a month or so!

6 Comments:

At 8:45 AM, Blogger erin said...

I'm so excited for you guys! Just so you know, Grama is NOT happy with the "no pictures" rule.

Love you.

 
At 1:33 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

very excited about your new house -- i agree with erin -- you must post pictures when you get settled! alex and i will have to come see you before you leave!

 
At 7:03 AM, Blogger Joyce said...

Hey!

So excited for the two of you. When hearing about the new house and talking with you, I only try to visualize your home....not the same as seeing pictures...shame on that Tom!!!
Love you guys..

 
At 6:54 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Congrats on the new house. Maybe I can get your brother to take a vacation, but I don't know... The internet and travel in the same year might be too much. Hi to Tom for us...

 
At 12:28 PM, Blogger Lori Grimes said...

I can't wait to see you're new house. I'm so excited that your only a mile away from a lake. I'll make sure we bring our fishing poles when we come for a visit.
Sorry I'm just now commenting on your blog, I'll try and keep up next time!

 
At 1:17 PM, Blogger Dave said...

Im so excited for you guys!...Graph paper floor plans?....I would expect no less :)Cant wait to see the new house in person!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home