Turtle's Progress

Wednesday, August 02, 2006

Tennesseans by the end of the month and a motorcycle...

The offer on our house had firmed up while I was gone during July to the point that we have a signed contract, earnest money, and a closing date for August 23rd...whew! That means a dwelling place in Tennessee needed to be had by the end of this month. I spent much of my time last month sitting at MDC's (Meghan Dave Charlotte) computer in California, and then EBS's (Erin Brent Sarah) in Colorado, looking at real estate. Before I left for California at the end of June I had spent a day with our real estate agent (Susan Tant) looking at new properties. I saw so many houses in various stages of finish that they all began to morph together... but there was one house that stood out from the others. First I didn't like it, then Tom liked it alot, then I liked it even more, then Tom changed his mind. We took a look at it (and many other properties) again when we got back to Nashville after the jaunts out west. Finally, we decided that it had everything we wanted. Went with our agent to the builder's on-site sales agent and wrote up a contract. Because it was not yet completed we were able to choose carpet color, kitchen hardware, hardwood floor finish, have some tile and a closet added to the bonus room, and a couple of doors removed. This house had been on the market for 150 days so we took a chance and offered $10,000 less than the asking price with all of the changes we wanted. And they took it! So, if all goes as planned, we will be moving into our brand new home in Lebanon, TN by the end of the month. Though our new home is actually in Wilson County with a Lebanon address, we are much closer to Gallatin and will probably claim that as our town for shopping, church, etc.

I have begun packing in earnest and am surrounded by boxes. Newpapers have been saved in the garage since early last year and are now being put to good use. Many moves spent in the past watching military-hired movers pack my things into boxes is now serving me well. I remember well how carefully my things were usually packed and am trying to do the same now. The moving van is scheduled to arrive early on August 24th and we will be on our way!

Leaving this house is right. I have grieved, remembered, and celebrated my time here (see April 12, 2006 post) and am now ready to move on. Tom and I are looking forward to having a place that is "ours" with no ties to our past lives. A place where we will celebrate and make new memories of our own.

On another note... in the midst of the craziness of trying to get ready for the move, tearing things out of closets, sorting and purging, Tom decides to see if I was, perhaps, serious about my anniversary gift to him (see June 28, 2006 post). He invited his good friend Glenn and his wife Teresa over on Saturday. They rode over on their totally decked out Honda Goldwing motorcycle (my sister says it is an "old fogies" bike). Glenn took me for a ride around Anniston and out into the country roads of Dearmanville. I was apprehensive at first but must say that the experience grew on me. The seat was totally comfortable -- had arm rests with cupholders, speakers in the helmets to talk with Glenn, and an XM radio hook-up. I did enjoy the experience and have not totally ruled out the possibility in the future.... but first we have a house to buy!

7 Comments:

At 7:25 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Your move from Anniston is bittersweet. I have many wonderful memories in that house particularly all the Sister's Weekend's. I knew when you and Tom got married that one day you would have your very own house. I'm very happy for you two and can hardly wait to see your new place once you're all settlled in.

Love you both!!

 
At 8:07 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Congratulations on selling the old house and buying the new one! What a wonderful new adventure for you and Tom.

I bet it is KILLING you not to be in California with your girls. At least you know Erin will get some great pictures for you to drool over!

 
At 6:08 AM, Blogger A.K. said...

YAY for a move!! we just did that at my parents house and i absolutely love the new house... it's great to get rid of stuff that has been collecting for a while that you truly do not need! and WHERE are the pictures of you on the motorcycle?! come on now!!! i kept scrolling down thinking i would see a picture... how cool would it be for C and S to say their grandmother rides a motorcyle!!!

 
At 9:14 AM, Blogger Joyce said...

Everything just fell into place...as it should have. Soon you and Tom will be settled in and as you have said....to make memories of your own. A new adventure is about to come and with that, I am so happy for the both of you. Can't wait to see pictures of the house. How exciting for you and Tom!

Now on the motorcycle...that's another thing. I can see you now, with Tom in the drivers seat and you in the back with the head phones on, telling him to make a pit-stop to the nearest thrift shop!
I love you, my friend....

 
At 5:52 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Even though I am not there on an everyday basis like I used to be, that house was like a second home for many years. I have wonderful memories of curling up on your bed late in the evenings talking to you many a night with Meghan and/or Erin!!! Your move is a bittersweet move, just reminding me again how things change as we grow older and how God puts us exactly where He wants us at just the right time! Thank you so much for the memories you and your family gave me in that house! I have been blessed to know you all!

 
At 8:57 PM, Blogger erin said...

I'm so excited to see your new place!

Wish you were here with us right now...we miss you!

 
At 9:34 AM, Blogger erin said...

mom, have you forgotten you were tagged?

 

Post a Comment

<< Home