Turtle's Progress

Sunday, August 13, 2006

Obsessed

My daughters can attest to the fact that I have a somewhat obsessive streak to my being (Erin has inherited it, I think)... and it has caused me to be obsessed with this move. I pack by day using all of the tricks I watched the packers use during my many past moves. I mark the boxes with the room where the box should be delivered. I try to not combine too many items from different rooms in the same box to keep from having to sort too much at the destination. I worry about some of my antiques being lost or damaged in the move. But, oh, how I'm looking forward to the new house....

So, I spend most of the days packing, staying up until midnight some nights, and then fall asleep exhausted only to wake a few hours later thinking about the new house. I toss and turn planning the furniture placement, the closets, the stereo speakers and wiring, the silverware drawers and cupboards. I think of the furniture I want to paint and refinish before putting it in the house, I wonder which color rugs to order for the hardwood floor areas and if the curtains I have will fit the new windows. If I'm lucky I go back to sleep within an hour or so.

Some nights I think about what my life will be like in the new house. The biggest change is that Tom and I will be together every night! We can actually have dinner together, take walks in the evening, and enjoy having a normal life rather than one where he is home only on weekends. I think about making friends and finding a church. I hope for a friend or two among our neighbors in "Chestnut Glen". I think about the friends I have here in Anniston and how I will miss them all terribly. Even though I don't see many of them on a regular basis it is nice to have lived in a place long enough to expect to run into someone you know at the grocery or hardware store or restaurant. I hope that some of them will come up to Nashville for a visit. It will be nice to get settled in Tennessee but I know that a part of my heart will stay here in Anniston just as part of it still lives in the California area where I spent my childhood and where much of my family still lives.

3 Comments:

At 9:36 AM, Blogger Joyce said...

Well, we were posting at the same time..I see. It will be nice when the two of you can be tegether more often...you are married, you know!
Just hang in there, as when you get into your new house, you might still be on that high!
Love you lots..

 
At 12:23 PM, Blogger Lori Grimes said...

Call me when you're all moved in so I can take a vacation. FYI I don't lay sod, snake drains, cut bushes or any other manual labor stuff...I did my time!

 
At 8:11 PM, Blogger erin said...

So you think I'm obsessive, huh? This is certainly news to me. Probably not to my husband though.

I'm so excited for you and I'm counting down the days until IM THE FIRST VISITOR!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home